Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Moist and sweet, Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins are a breakfast or brunch staple. Perfectly spiced with a tender crumb and creamy sweet, cheese swirled on top….this is what fall is all about.
Am I the only one but do you also have issues with Netflix…if you have Netflix? I feel like it’s out about 50% of the time and always in the evening. I suspect that a bunch of Netflix looters are hacking into my account and leaving me high and dry making me suffer through a “Friends”-less evening each night. And if that’s not the case, I should get a 50% discount on my bill because my service only works 50% of the time. So, that’s fair…right? I just want to travel back in time to 1997 and enjoy a little bit of light-hearted humor that just can’t be duplicated with any other show….well, except Seinfeld…which is also on Netflix…so, there’s that problem again.
So, instead of getting my TV comfort fix, I bake. I bake things from my childhood…or as I remember them to be when my mom used to make them but can’t always seem to find the recipe because, you know, back in the day you used to tear them from the newspaper or magazines then file them away in a recipe box. That looks like a little house. But it’s not a little house, it’s holding recipes near and dear to your heart…and guess what…I have one of those little house recipe box things and I started digging through it and I found this recipe. And I was so VERY excited because these Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins…they’re my absolute favorite thing for fall next to Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Which didn’t exist when I acquired this recipe.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins are so totally easy to make and fun! They’re not deeply filled with cream cheese but the swirl allows just enough cream cheese in each bite to add a rich creamy texture to the lightly spiced muffin. They’re the perfect addition to your brunch spread during the holidays or make a big batch to nosh on for breakfast during the week. They’ve bumped my favorite Morning Glory Muffins out of first place here, which is a big deal because those Morning Glory Muffins….oh man. And if you’re still not feeling the pumpkin quite yet you may love these Blueberry Muffins or these addicting Banana Caramel Crunch babies.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins are a fabulous addition to your breakfast table.
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour I use Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a standard size muffin tin with cooking spray and dust lightly with flour.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl to combine thoroughly.
- Add the pumpkin stirring to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined being careful not to over mix.
- Fill the muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full with the batter mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remain vanilla, cream cheese and heavy cream.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture into the center of each muffin and swirl with a knife or toothpick.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Muffins can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days and frozen for about 2 months.