Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Moist and sweet, Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins are a breakfast or brunch staple. Perfectly spiced with a tender crumb and creamy sweet, cheese swirled on top….this is what fall is all about.
Originally published November 2016 and update in September 2019.
Am I the only one but do you also have issues with Netflix…if you have Netflix? I feel like it’s out about 50% of the time and always in the evening. I suspect that a bunch of Netflix looters are hacking into my account and leaving me high and dry making me suffer through a “Friends”-less evening each night.
And if that’s not the case, I should get a 50% discount on my bill because my service only works 50% of the time. So, that’s fair…right? I just want to travel back in time to 1997 and enjoy a little bit of light-hearted humor that just can’t be duplicated with any other show while noshing on a pile of Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins. For nostalgias sake, of course.
So, instead of getting my TV comfort fix, I bake. I bake things from my childhood…or as I remember them to be when my mom used to make them but can’t always seem to find the recipe because, you know, back in the day you used to tear them from the newspaper or magazines then file them away in a recipe box.
That looks like a little house. But it’s not a little house, it’s holding recipes near and dear to your heart…and guess what…I have one of those little house recipe box things and I started digging through it and I found this recipe. And I was so VERY excited because this Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin recipe…it’s my absolute favorite thing for fall next to Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Which didn’t exist when I acquired this recipe.
I always buy waaaay too many cans of pumpkin so I can, literally, make these Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins just about any time of year. They’re so simple to make and not overly spiced with pumpkin spice seasoning. At all.
PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE MUFFINS
This easy Pumpkin Muffin recipe is so totally easy to make and fun! They’re not deeply filled with cream cheese but the swirl allows just enough cream cheese in each bite to add a rich creamy texture to the lightly spiced muffin. You can also use this Homemade Pumpkin Puree if you have the time (it’s made in the slow cooker so it cooks while you’re binge watching Netflix…I promise.)
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE MUFFINS
There are a few parts to making these easy Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins but it’s super easy to do.
Whisk together the dry ingredients.
Fold in the pumpkin to the dry ingredients, stirring to combine.
Whisk together the oil, eggs and vanilla.
Combine the egg mixture with the dry ingredients. Set aside.
Whisk together the remaining vanilla, cream cheese and heavy cream.
Fill the muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full with the batter mixture.
Spoon 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture into the center of each muffin and swirl with a knife.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
Cool the muffins on a wire rack.
You can store your muffins at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days. But believe me when I say, they won’t last that long.
CAN I FREEZE PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE MUFFINS
YES! They’re totally FREEZER FRIENDLY! Just wrap in plastic wrap tightly and store in a freezer bag.
When you’re ready to eat your pumpkin muffin, simply unwrap and heat in the microwave for about 10-20 seconds or just thaw on the counter for about 30 minutes.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins are the perfect addition to your brunch spread during the holidays or make a big batch to nosh on for breakfast during the week.
They’ve bumped my favorite Morning Glory Muffins out of first place here, which is a big deal because those Morning Glory Muffins….oh man.
And if you’re still not feeling the pumpkin love, you may love these Blueberry Muffins or these addicting Banana Caramel Crunch OR MY OTHER FAVORITE Chocolate Chip Ricotta Banana Bread Muffins….seriously, OMG amazing.
MORE PUMPKIN RECIPES
- The Very Best Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe
- Sparkling Spiced Pumpkin Punch
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Deep Dish Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Spice Donuts (Two Ingredients!)
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Spice Creme Brulee
Get the Recipe: Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, I use Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a standard size muffin tin with cooking spray and dust lightly with flour.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl to combine thoroughly.
- Add the pumpkin stirring to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined being careful not to over mix.
- Fill the muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full with the batter mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remain vanilla, cream cheese and heavy cream.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture into the center of each muffin and swirl with a knife or toothpick.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Muffins can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days and frozen for about 2 months.