This Sweet and Spicy Chili is made in the slow cooker for deep, concentrated flavor. The BEST chili recipe around, I use a secret ingredient to create a sweet-tart background to this slightly spicy recipe.
No beans here, friends. I am not a fan. So…my recipe, my rules…no beans. This helps when you have a roomful of men watching the big game. The no beans rule. Beans do things to you….that’s all I’m saying. I think when you have a bunch of people munching on cheese, hot dogs and beans all within a few hours….mix that with some beer….you see where this is heading.
Add beans at your own risk.
This Sweet and Spicy Chili recipe is an adaptation of one my husband gave me….he received it from a co-worker….who got it from his wife’s brother? Who got it from his cousin’s, grandmother’s, sister’s farmer? Something like that. So I don’t really know where it came from but once I got my hands on it I tweaked it….a lot. And of course, once I was done perfecting my Sweet and Spicy Chili I declared it the best chili on the entire planet! Because I can do things like that since I own this blog and all.
It’s amazing on anything! Nachos, hot dogs, Fritos, bread bowls….TATER TOTS!!! Try it…you’ll be hooked, I promise you that much.
And now you have the best Sweet and Spicy Chili recipe ever that’s super easy to make and perfect for any event where you have a large group of men( and women) staring at the television screen for hours munching on things like fajita nachos and sausage stuffed mushrooms. I think this will be happening on Sunday….is it still football season? 🙂
Sweet and Spicy Slow Cooker Chili
- 2 pounds ground beef (I used 80-20)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large jalapeno peppers, minced (remove the seeds and veins for less heat...leave them for more heat)
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 6 ounce jar of chopped sweet peppers and juice
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 - 28 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 - 28 ounce can crushed fire roasted tomatoes (I use Muir Glen Organic)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan, brown the ground beef until no longer pink and transfer to the slow cooker using a slotted spoon. Drain off all but two tablespoons of fat and add the onions to the pan. Cook the onions over med-high heat until they begin to soften. Add the peppers to the onions and sauté until softened. Add the garlic and jalapeno peppers, cooking for one minute longer. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker with the beef.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, sweet peppers and juice to the beef mixture and stir to combine. Add the brown sugar, tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes stirring thoroughly to be sure all the ingredients are incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook in the slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Serve with your favorite chili toppings, we love greek yogurt, sour cream, shredded cheddar, green onions, and pickled jalapenos...just to name a few.
- Note: Chili can be stored in an airtight container refrigerated for up to 3 days or in the freezer for 2 months.