Queso Fundido with Chorizo Recipe // Video
Cheesy, salty, stretchy dip that belongs at every Cinco de Mayo celebration. Easy Queso Fundido with Chorizo recipe is the easiest appetizer ever combining crisp chorizo sausage with melty cheese for the best bite of heaven you could ever imagine.
Queso Fundido with Chorizo
I’ve been super busy cooking away in the kitchen the past few days and working on a few things for some clients like this crazy amazing smoothie bowl I shared on Facebook yesterday.
I barely had time to get out and enjoy the gorgeous weather we’re having right now. It’s giving me a huge case of spring fever and I’m looking forward to all the celebrations that come with the warmer weather like Cinco de Mayo!
Yes….it’s right around the corner and I’m ready to dive right in while double-fisting some margaritas! How about you?
I was never a huge fan of Cinco de Mayo because I thought I didn’t like Mexican food. All the years I thought I hated Mexican food feel like a waste now because what I really disliked….was taco bell. But now…..Cinco de Mayo comes in a close second to Christmas in my eyes!
SO….BRING ON those enchiladas and tortilla chips because this girl is smitten! And I can’t seem to get enough, especially things like Queso Fundido con Chorizo! Oh man…have you ever had Queso Fundido??? If you haven’t…you really need to get a move on it because it’s like cheesy heaven! I’m sorry I’m yelling! I’m just so excited!
What is Queso Fundido?
Queso Fundido is actually just melted cheese…..it’s translation means….Melted Cheese. It’s like, seriously, my favorite thing to make for tailgating and game day parties.
I first heard about Queso Fundido with Chorizo on The Food Network’s The Kitchen. Marcela made it a really long time ago and did a quick demo….and when I say quick, I mean in mere minutes this melty skillet of ridiculousness was ready.
I like mine as close to authentic Queso Fundido as possible so I use Queso Oaxaca cheese as the main component of the recipe.
To make things extra tasty, I, also, add Mexican chorizo to the mix because of it’s spicy, salty, savory flavor that makes this queso recipe totally addicting.
What is Queso Oaxaca cheese?
Queso Oaxaca cheese is like a Mexican mozzarella cheese. It’s very mild in flavor and adds that stringy, stretchy cheese pull that everyone loves in a cheesy dip.
If you can’t find Oaxaca cheese….mozzarella or Colby Jack are both excellent substitutes. I love Queso Oaxaca but it doesn’t have too much flavor so I like to add a shredded cheese blend of Monterey Jack and Cheddar. A shredded Mexican blend of cheese does the trick in a pinch.
What is Chorizo Sausage?
Chorizo Sausage is a type of pork sausage that can be sold loose or in a casing. Mexican chorizo is sold uncooked, while Spanish chorizo is often sold smoked. For this recipe, I used Mexican chorizo but Spanish chorizo can also be used in a pinch if you can’t find mexican chorizo. Just be sure to finely chop before adding the cheese.
The Mexican Chorizo is fried in a skillet until crisp then tossed with a mix of fried onions and garlic. Feel free to bring your own creativity to the table and blend in some diced jalapeños or poblano peppers.
This Queso Fundido with Chorizo recipe is so good you’ll want to have it for dinner all week long. It’s so good you will eat the whole skillet. Which is what happened right after this picture was shot.
So, to my neighbor….I’m deeply sorry for not sharing my Queso Fundido with you, as promised. I owe you one….I’ll even make a side of enchiladas to make up for it. 🙂
More Easy Mexican Recipes
- Homemade Tortilla Chips are the easiest thing to make EVER.
- Super simple Queso Blanco….or White Queso for us simple people.
- Easy Shrimp Ceviche….I love to dip it!
- Best EVER Elote Dip….or Mexican Street Corn Salad
- This Guacamole is simple and spectacular.
- Or go EXTRA with this Chili Spiced Mango Guacamole Salad
- Easy Baked Chicken Enchiladas
Get the Recipe: Queso Fundido with Chorizo
- 4 ounces fresh chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 1 1/2 cups diced vidalia onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups shredded Queso Oaxaca cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar, Monterey jack or Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- In an 8 inch skillet, brown the chorizo until crisp over medium heat breaking up into tiny pieces with the back of a fork. Transfer the chorizo to a plate and wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Transfer the onion to a bowl and toss with the chorizo until well combined.
- Allow the skillet to cool for a few minutes.
- Spread half the cheese in the bottom of the skillet.
- Top with the chorizo/onion mixture and then spread the remaining cheese on top of the chorizo.
- Bake for 20 minutes until melted and bubbling.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately with tortilla chips or soft tortillas.