Homemade Chicken Soup is the best invention ever. Filled with veggies, herbs and roasted chicken, this soup could cure any ailment and is the perfect comfort food. For a more filling meal, just add some egg noodles.
We have a favorite chicken soup that we trek long and far for. It’s not really chicken soup if you were to order it….it’s actually Matzo Ball Soup. We ditch the balls and just go naked chicken soup….which is rather brothy and not really filling because it’s missing the ball but it’s incredible. And perfect when you’re sick.
I don’t get sick very often but the last time I was stuck on the couch due to a wicked cold my husband made the long journey to Hymie’s Deli’s to pick up some Chicken Soup (aka Matzo Ball Soup). Just for me. It was just what I needed and he left the balls there. 🙂 I vowed to recreate the soup at home so we could save some gas and mileage on our cars. I vowed to recreate the soup about a thousand times but never got around to it. Until he was sick.
My car is a gas guzzler and to get to Hymie’s I have to pass the mall. This would be a long expensive trip since I would have to stop at the mall to make the trip worthwhile. Right? I’m PASSING it anyway. Why not stop in and see what’s going on in fall fashion. And grab a coffee. Maybe some PinkBerry? I do need a new fall bag…..ok…back to the soup. I didn’t drive to Hymie’s. Instead, I stopped off at the grocery store and bought what I thought I would need to make The Best Homemade Chicken Soup….ever. Three tries later….I nailed it. And then I went to the mall to buy a new fall bag. 🙂
This soup is best with homemade chicken stock….I’ll get to that later this week. In the meantime, you can use your favorite chicken stock whether it’s store-bought or homemade. Don’t use broth. It must be stock and every store sells it these days, super easy to find. To make my version a little more hearty without adding the “balls”, I loaded it with celery, carrot and onion….and of course chicken. And to punch up the flavor I used fresh herbs….thyme, parsley and dill. Dill is where it’s at. Dill is what makes Hymie’s version crave worthy. Dill is what makes this The Best Homemade Chicken Soup on the planet.
The Best Homemade Chicken Soup
- 1 chicken breast half, skin on and bone in
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, small diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken stock, homemade or store bought
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Rub a little olive oil on the chicken breast and season liberally with kosher salt and pepper. Roast the chicken until cooked through, approximately 25-30 minutes. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool to room temperature or until cool enough to handle.
- Shred the chicken into small pieces and set aside.
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over med-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened. Add the carrots and celery and continue to cook until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Transfer the cooked chicken to the pot and stir to combine. Add the chicken stock, herbs, salt and pepper and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately or transfer to airtight containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 212 Calories from fat 178|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 20||31%|
|Saturated Fat 3||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 1||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|