Cheesy, salty, stretchy dip that belongs at every Cinco de Mayo celebration. Quest Fundido with Chorizo is the easiest appetizer ever combining crisp chorizo sausage with melty cheese for the best bite of heaven you could ever imagine.
Happy Hump Day! Can you believe it…the week is halfway over already, it’s just whizzing by for me. I’ve been super busy cooking away in the kitchen the past few days and working on a few things for some clients like this crazy amazing smoothie bowl I shared on Facebook yesterday. I barely had time to get out and enjoy the gorgeous weather we’re having right now. It’s giving me a huge case of spring fever and I’m looking forward to all the celebrations that come with the warmer weather like Cinco de Mayo! Yes….it’s right around the corner and I’m ready to dive right in while double-fisting some margaritas! How about you?
I was never a huge fan of Cinco de Mayo because I thought I didn’t like Mexican food. All the years I thought I hated Mexican food feel like a waste now because what I really hated….was taco bell. But now….bring on those enchiladas and tortilla chips because this girl is smitten! And I can’t seem to get enough, especially things like Queso Fundido with Chorizo! Oh man…have you ever had Queso Fundido??? If you haven’t…you really need to get a move on it because it’s like cheesy heaven! I’m sorry I’m yelling! I’m just so excited!
I first heard about Queso Fundido with Chorizo on The Food Network’s The Kitchen. Marcela made it a really long time ago and did a quick demo….and when I say quick, I mean in mere minutes this melty skillet of ridiculousness was ready. She made it with Queso Oaxaca cheese which is like a Mexican version of mozzarella. If you can’t find it….mozzarella or Colby Jack are both good substitutes. I love Queso Oaxaca but it doesn’t have too much flavor so I like to add a shredded cheese blend of Monterey Jack and Cheddar. Sargento has a great Mexican blend that’s pre-shredded perfect for this recipe. The chorizo is fried in a skillet until crisp then tossed with a mix of fried onions and garlic. Feel free to bring your own creativity to the table and blend in some diced jalapeños or red bell pepper.
This Queso Fundido with Chorizo recipe is so good you’ll want to have it for dinner all week long. It’s so good you will eat the whole skillet. Which is what happened right after this picture was shot. So, to my neighbor….I’m deeply sorry for not sharing my Queso Fundido with you, as promised. I owe you one….I’ll even make a side of enchiladas to make up for it. 🙂
Queso Fundido with Chorizo
- 4 ounces fresh chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 1 1/2 cups diced vidalia onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups shredded Queso Oaxaca cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar, Monterey jack or Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- In an 8 inch skillet, brown the chorizo until crisp over medium heat breaking up into tiny pieces with the back of a fork. Transfer the chorizo to a plate and wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Transfer the onion to a bowl and toss with the chorizo until well combined.
- Allow the skillet to cool for a few minutes.
- Spread half the cheese in the bottom of the skillet.
- Top with the chorizo/onion mixture and then spread the remaining cheese on top of the chorizo.
- Bake for 20 minutes until melted and bubbling.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately with tortilla chips or soft tortillas.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 350kcal Calories from fat 247|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 27g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||75%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|