Baked Chicken Florentine Recipe
Ultra creamy Baked Chicken Florentine is the ONE POT DINNER you’re family will beg for every week. Tender, juicy chicken breasts swimming in a creamy, cheesy sauce is super simple to make for a quick weeknight meal. Serve with a side salad for the ultimate easy dinner.
Baked Chicken Florentine
This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love.
We’re slowly inching our way closer to summer. Slowly, surely, we will get there. But in the meantime, I’m still craving cozy comfort meals like this easy Baked Chicken Florentine.
It’s the ultimate one pot dinner that’s packed with flavor and made from scratch without even breaking a sweat. Chances are, you even have all the ingredients you need right now to make this easy Chicken Florentine recipe tonight.
We love a good baked chicken breast….plain and simple but there’s something magical about an easy pan sauce that whips up like a dream. Add a splash of cream and some freshly grated parmesan to take the flavor profile to another level with just a flick of the wrist….sort of.
What is Chicken Florentine
To keep it simple, the word “Florentine” (pronounced “FLOR-en-teen”) refers to a dish that is prepared in the style of cooking originating in the Florence region of Italy.
A recipe using the word Florentine in the title, such as Chicken Florentine, simply means that the dish includes spinach. Chicken Florentine can be made a variety of ways including mushrooms, artichokes or other additions but this recipe is simply made with a spinach cream sauce spiked with parmesan cheese.
How to Make Chicken Florentine
Making Baked Chicken Florentine is so simple to do. I like to make mine in a heavy duty skillet, like this one I found at Williams Sonoma, to keep dishes to a minimum.
First, you’ll sear the chicken in a skillet with olive oil until golden brown.
Then, you’ll transfer the chicken to a platter to keep warm. Your chicken will not be cooked all the way through, you just want a golden sear on the outside to get the party started. The chicken will finish baking in the cream sauce which will make it extra flavorful!
Next, you’ll add some garlic to the pan and cook for a minute before deglazing with a bit of white wine. Scrape up all those flavorful bits on the bottom of the pan before adding the chicken stock to create the Florentine Sauce. (Florentine Sauce is simply a white wine sauce with spinach.) Once the stock starts to boil, stir in the half and half and cream cheese.
Bring the Florentine Sauce to a simmer then stir in the cheese and spinach. Once the spinach has wilted, return the chicken to the pan and bake in the oven until cooked through. This easy Chicken Florentine only takes about 30 minutes to cook from start to finish!
Just be sure to check your baked chicken for doneness using an instant read thermometer. Your chicken is fully cooked when the thermometer reads 165˚F.
I love how easy Chicken Florentine is to make and that I only have on pan to clean!
What To Serve With It
I like to keep things pretty simple and serve my Chicken Florentine with a fresh, crisp salad. But sometimes we like to round out our meal with a side of Pasta Aglio e Olio or a pile of crisp green beans.
You could also serve your Chicken Florentine with a fluffy dinner roll for sopping up all the leftover Florentine Sauce because it’s so good you could, literally, eat it with a spoon.
Is Chicken Florentine Gluten Free?
YES! This Chicken Florentine recipe is totally gluten free, naturally! No need to change anything in the recipe to make it low carb, it’s already done.
If you’re looking for even more easy recipes be sure to follow us over on Instagram and Facebook!
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- We’re totally digging this Spinach Stuffed Chicken. Easy to prep ahead, too!
- Super simple Chicken Scallopini comes together in minutes!
- One POT Chicken Tetrazzini is a hit with the whole family.
- This crazy easy Dorito Chicken Casserole is loaded with epic flavor.
Get the Recipe: Baked Chicken Florentine Recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Flip the chicken over and cook for an additional 4 minutes or until golden. Transfer the chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine to the pan and deglaze by scraping up the brown bits with a wooden spoon. Turn the heat to low and simmer until the wine is reduced by half.
- Stir in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Slowly stir in the half and half, cream cheese, garlic powder, onion powder and parmesan. Cook until the sauce is smooth and thick.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes or until wilted. Return the chicken to the pan arranging so it's covered by the sauce and transfer to the oven.
- Bake the chicken for 20 minutes or until an instant read thermometer registers 165˚F.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with extra parmesan cheese, if desired.
5 Comments on “Baked Chicken Florentine Recipe”
One of our favorite go to dinners! This one is delicious!
This baked chicken florentine looks so amazing, Kellie! 🙂 Thank you!
Yum – it real take the chicken breast to the next level! I really enjoyed your recipe!