The Very BEST Stuffed Cabbage Soup Recipe // Video
All the flavors of Stuffed Cabbage Rolls without all the rolling! The very Best Stuffed Cabbage Soup is like the lazy girl’s stuffed cabbage recipe….all the ingredients thrown into a pot and simmered to perfection. Freezer friendly, too!
We’re one day closer to winter and the wind last night made me very aware that it’s time to put away the shorts even though I haven’t worn them in weeks. The bus stop is, once again, dreadful in the morning with the wind whipping up the hill and hitting us all square in the face like a left hook instead of a kind “good morning” greeting.
AND we’re going through our first round of colds here….it’s going to be a long winter. So, I’ve been stocking the freezer with my favorite soup recipes and sharing them all here because I don’t know what the heck I was doing the past several years but GUYS….I have soooo many recipes still to share with you and this Stuffed Cabbage Roll Soup is one of them.
Just like my grandfather’s Stuffed Cabbage Rolls, this Stuffed Cabbage Soup is tangy, sweet, savory and hearty. All the things you want in a winter comfort food but without all the prepping, rolling and wrapping that’s required when making traditional stuffed cabbage. This easy Cabbage Soup recipe is a “toss everything into the pot and go” kinda meal.
STUFFED CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
Also known as Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup, this easy Cabbage Soup recipe is a blend of everything you’d find in a stuffed cabbage roll but unassembled and stewed in a pot for a bit until the cabbage is tender. The longer the soup simmers the more flavorful it will be but you can have this on the table in less than 45 minutes from start to finish.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
The main ingredients in Stuffed Cabbage Soup are the same ingredients I use in my Stuffed Cabbage recipe:
- Ground beef
- Tomato sauce
- Chopped Cabbage
- Beef Stock
The secret is really in the sauce….for a bit of tartness I like to add apple cider vinegar and for sweetness I stir in grated apple. It’s a such a great way to boost the flavor profile in the sauce without it being overly sugary.
HOW TO MAKE IT
If you’ve ever labored over rolling Stuffed Cabbage Rolls you are going to LOVE this recipe! Easy Stuffed Cabbage Soup couldn’t be simpler to make:
- In a large pot, brown the ground beef until no longer pink.
- Transfer the beef to a bowl and drain all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- Add the onion to the pot and cook until softened.
- Stir in the garlic. (Garlic is not traditional in Cabbage Rolls but I like the added umph it adds to the soup.)
- Add the butter to the onions and then stir in the cabbage.
- Cook the cabbage for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked down.
- Return the beef to the pot.
- Stir in the rice, tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, apple, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock.
- Cook for 20 minutes over low heat until the rice is tender.
- Add additional stock if needed because the rice will absorb a lot of the liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper….serve.
This recipe for makes a lot of soup so I like to serve half for dinner to feel the family and freeze the rest in individual containers for quick lunches on the fly. You could also freezer it in a larger container for an easy weeknight dinner months down the road. It’s a great way to meal prep. This is already in my freezer for winter!
And you could easily make this Stuffed Cabbage Soup in the Crock Pot or Slow Cooker, too. Simply brown the beef ahead of time. Saute the onions and cabbage, then toss everything into the crock pot. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. Easy peasy!
Stuffed Cabbage Soup is hearty enough to work as a main course soup for dinner but sometimes I like to serve it alongside any of these easy recipes, too:
- Cheddar Pear Grilled Cheese for an epic twist on the soup and sandwich
- An unfussy salad like this Wedge Salad is quick and easy
- Sometimes we like this warm loaf of bread for dipping
And if you’re looking for more easy soup recipes you have to try THESE family favorites:
- Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Our favorite Creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup
- The BEST Vegetable Soup recipe ever….no kidding
- THIS Creamy Chicken Soup with artichokes is amazeballs
- Ready in 20 minutes….Italian Sausage Soup. Sooo good!
The Very Best Stuffed Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 5 cups chopped cabbage, approximately one head of cabbage, core removed
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup grated apple
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 32 ounces beef stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add the ground beef to the pot. Cook the beef until browned, breaking up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, and no longer pink, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a bowl. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat and return the pot to the heat.
- Add the onion to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Stir in the garlic cooking for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the butter and add the cabbage to the pot tossing to combine. Cook the cabbage until softened, approximately 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes, vinegar, brown sugar, apple, rice, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock. Bring the soup to a boil then turn the heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately with sour cream, if desired.