Chicken Fajita Stuffed Avocado with Honey Chipotle Cream
Just when you thought an avocado couldn’t be any better….Chicken Fajita Stuffed Avocado with Honey Chipotle Cream was born. Simple to prepare for a quick weeknight dinner, chicken, peppers, onions and garlic are sautéed with fajita seasonings then stuffed into a buttery, creamy avocado. Drizzle with a completely addicting Honey Chipotle Cream and fall off your chair because it’s so amazing.
Hey friends! I have a new recipe that I’m super excited to share with you because it’s so flipping good I could totally just eat it all day every day. I got a bit of spring fever the other day because the temps hit a sweltering 80 degrees which isn’t exactly sweltering but when you’re used to flitting around in 35 degrees the past several months a bump up more than 40 degrees feels like the center of the earth hot. Especially when you’re not really ready to put on a pair of shorts so you wear jeans all day long while you have a million errands to run sweating like a frosty glass of lemonade in the summertime. It can’t just be me, right?
Anyway…..I know you don’t really care about the weather here….or the fact that I make bad fashion choices in the spring because you don’t know if the temps will be winter or summer. I know you’re here for this Chicken Fajita Stuffed Avocado with Honey Chipotle Cream because….just look at it. If that’s not eating the rainbow then I don’t know what is….besides a bowl of Lucky Charms but we’ll do that another day. Today….we’re starting with my favorite Chicken Fajita recipe and stuffing it into an avocado then sprinkling it with roasted corn, Cojita cheese and drenching it in Honey Chipotle Cream. Don’t ask why….just do as I say here. You totally won’t regret it.
Making a stuffed avocado is nothing new for me….it all started with this Crab Stuffed Avocado I had a few years back on a trip to Washington DC. Then I tried the whole egg stuffed avocado and there’s just something meh about a hot avocado with a hot egg backed into it that just was not jiving with me….at all. It looked pretty but it was actually really gross. So, we skipped that one and then I made a tuna salad stuffed avocado that, now, looking back I really need to add that one here for y’all because it was like the best “not sad desk lunch” I ever made when I worked in an office. But back to the Chicken Fajita Stuffed Avocado because that’s why you’re all here….it would ALSO make a “not sad desk lunch” but it’s so quick and easy to pull together it makes a fantastic weeknight dinner, too!
And if you made it to the end of this post….God bless you because BOY was that some rambling nonsense today but a few things I wanted to add: this chicken stuffed avocado can be made with your favorite leftover chicken recipe or just grab a rotisserie chicken at the store on your way home from work. I used THIS fajita seasoning mix to flavor the veggies and chicken before stuffing it into the avocado. You can make the chicken mixture in advance if you’re a meal prepping pro….which I am not….but that would totally make this dinner come together in minutes. MINUTES! And if you’re looking for MORE ways to get your fajita fix, check out these Grilled Chicken fajitas and this Chicken Fajita Salad.
Get the Recipe: Chicken Fajita Stuffed Avocado with Honey Chipotle Cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fajita seasoning mix
- 2 ears corn, husk and silk removed
- 1 jalapeño finely minced, seeds and vein removed
- 1/4 cup crumbled Cojita cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilanto
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- juice of 1 lime and zest
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 3 avocados, split in half, pit removed and carefully scooped from the skin
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and stir in the onion. Cook the onion for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the bell pepper to the pan and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute or until fragrant.
- Stir the chicken into the onion mixture. Add the water and fajita seasoning to the pan stirring to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then remove from the heat. Set aside.
- To char the corn kernels, place them on a baking sheet and place 2-3 inches under the broiler turning occasionally to roast all sides. Allow the corn to cool then carefully cut the kernels off the corn cob. Transfer the corn to a bowl, discard the cob.
- To make the sauce, whisk together the sour cream, honey, adobo sauce, lime juice, zest and chili powder. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To assemble, divide the chicken fajita mixture evenly among the 6 avocado halves. Sprinkle the fajita mixture with the corn, jalapeño, cheese and cilantro.
- Drizzle each stuffed avocado with the Honey Chipotle Cream and serve immediately. Can be served warm or at room temperature.
4 Comments on “Chicken Fajita Stuffed Avocado with Honey Chipotle Cream”
You are speaking my language! These are amazing!
What a fantastic combination of flavors!
Looking forward to chowing down on these! Perfect summer lunch!
I have a feeling I’m going to become addicted to these!