Cranberry Brie Puff Pastry Bites
Little pillows of heaven….Cranberry Brie Puff Pastry Bites are the appetizer of your dreams. This easy recipe is just 3 ingredients and can be made in advance for easy party planning so you can join your friends during your next soiree!
I always wanted to be that person who always threw the best dinner parties with the best friends and the best neighbors. The person that everyone would talk about during the year hoping to get an invite to their next event. I’d have the best appetizers and an epic cheese board to get things started. Then, I’d serve a lavish 5 course dinner all made from scratch starting with a jaw dropping salad and some kind of bisque-y soup. Everyone would moan about how full they were because everything tasted so wonderful and they couldn’t possibly fit anything else in their belly…..until dessert arrived in some form of sweetly decorated cake. It’s the best dream….I always wake up starving and so thankful that I’m more of a homebody and would prefer to sit in front of the TV with a small charcuterie tray I fashioned on a paper plate. Because I hate doing dishes…..and the pile of dishes from that dinner party would be seriously insane to deal with. Especially after a few glasses of wine and a food coma.
The dream is still there and I did entertain a few friends/family during the years but I’ve learned to keep things simple with one star of the show during the evening….usually an epic roast or some over the top dessert. I may have even grabbed a box or two of Trader Joe’s Pastry Brie Bites (I don’t know if that’s their official name) to have on hand for an easy appetizer. But, alas, as with most things at Trader Joe’s they have vanished. At least from my local (14 miles away….local) store. They were bites of brie and raspberry jam wrapped up in puff pastry or phyllo dough kind of cigar like. And the melty cheese inside was simply amazing with the jam. They were addicting and I think there were only like 6 or 8 in a box. So, I decided to make my own but a more festive flavor for the holidays….and that’s how Cranberry Brie Puff Pastry Bites were formed.
Cranberry Brie Puff Pastry Bites are super simple to make….you start with frozen puff pastry dough (thawed, of course) and roll it out then cut it into squares.
Fill each square with a bite of brie and a dollop of cranberry sauce or jam…then wrap them up using a bit of egg wash as the glue.
Bake until puffed up and you have one of the easiest appetizers on the planet that didn’t come from the freezer. They’re almost as easy as these Brown Sugar Pecan Bites and make a great addition to any party spread. Round out the evening with a Cranberry Pomegranate Bellini and a festive cheeseball….then park it in front of the TV to watch Christmas Vacation with your cat. And you thought I was helping you plan a big party…..party for 1 over here all season long. 🙂
Cranberry Brie Puff Pastry Bites
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- flour for dusting
- 1 cup cranberry sauce or cranberry jam
- 8 ounces brie cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to approximately 12 inches x 12 inches.
- Cut the puff pastry into three long rectangles and then cut each rectangle into 3 squares. You will have 9 squares from each sheet of puff pastry.
- Place a teaspoon brie in the center of each square and top with a teaspoon cranberry sauce.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the egg on the edges of the pastry. Then, pull the corners up to meet at the top pinching the seams together to seal the dough.
- Arrange the puff pastry bites on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the puff pastry bites for 18-20 minutes or until puffed up and golden brown.
- Allow the puff pastry bites to cool for 4-5 minutes before serving.
Puff pastry bites can be made in advance and frozen for up to 2 months. To bake from frozen, place the bites on a baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes.