Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe (Pressure Cooker Pot Roast)
Slow cooked flavor in under an hour, this Instant Pot Pot Roast is a hit with the entire family. Tender Chuck Roast is cooked until tender with carrots, mushrooms and potatoes. All in one pot, all at the same time. It doesn’t get easier than that.
Whether the weather is hot or cold, sometimes I crave a slow cooked comfort meal like my mom’s Pot Roast. There’s something sort of magical about a slow roasted chuck roast that’s perfumed with herbs and root vegetables.
But I don’t always plan ahead and that’s when my handy Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker totally saves the day. It allows me to whip up one of my favorite Pot Roast recipes in under an hour without a ton of fuss but with the same melt in your mouth tender beef I love.
I really have been loving the Instant Pot a lot more lately because I’m finding it to be incredibly versatile for meal prepping. BUT it’s also fabulous to making my favorite slow cooked dinners, like a hearty Bolognese Sauce, in a fraction of the time.
This Pressure Cooker Pot Roast recipe is nothing short of amazing. It’s simple to prepare and cooks in a flash. Not like a 10 minute flash but it’s ready in under an hour.
Instant Pot Pot Roast
I like to keep things as easy as possible in the kitchen when it comes to making classic comfort food and for this reason, I made sure this recipe works without having to cook everything in stages.
A Pot Roast is a braised beef recipe made by browning a roast-sized cut of beef before cooking in a covered dish with with vegetables in a beef stock or other liquid. Tougher cuts such as chuck steak, boneless chuck steak and short ribs are popular cuts for this type of recipe.
So, a lot of recipes call for cooking the beef to completion first and then adding the vegetables so they don’t get mushy. BUT, if you cut your vegetables to a larger size they won’t break down as quickly leaving you with tender, melt-in-your-mouth vegetables that are perfect with your pot roast.
How To Make It
For the most part, this recipe is a cinch to prepare. Don’t skip the browning stage of the instructions because it adds a ton of flavor to the recipe.
Season the chuck roast on both sides with salt and pepper.
Brown the roast in the Instant Pot (or in a skillet on the stovetop) on the saute function until deeply browned and crusty. Flip the roast and cook on the other side.
Add the potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms, and herbs on top of the roast.
Pour the beef stock over the roast.
Set the Instant Pot to High Pressure and place the lid on. Set the valve to sealing.
Cook the Pot Roast on High Pressure for 50 minutes
Allow the pressure to release for 10 minutes once the roast is done cooking, then manual release the remaining pressure. Remove the lid.
Transfer the vegetables and the roast to a platter and keep warm.
Whisk the cornstarch with the softened butter and stir into the remaining stock in the pot until slightly thickened.
Serve the roast and vegetables with the gravy.
What To Serve With It
Since this is already a one pot dinner recipe, you can keep the sides simple A Wedge Salad is always our go to but if you want something fresh, crisp and green, these easy Green Beans are always a hit, too.
If you want to skip the potatoes cooked with the Pot Roast recipe, this is also fabulous over a pile of homemade mashed potatoes.
We also love it on top of these easy Buttered Egg Noodles!
If you like this Pot Roast, you will LOVE this Swiss Steak recipe!
Get the Recipe: Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe (Pressure Cooker Pot Roast)
- 3-5 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pound Yukon Gold Potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 4 large carrots, chopped into large chunks
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Instant Pot
- Pressure Cooker
- Turn on the instant pot and set it to “saute”.
- Season your chuck roast with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat the oil in the instant pot. When shimmering, add the roast to the pot.
- Cook the roast until seared and deeply browned, approximately 3-5 minutes. Turn the roast onto another side for 3-4 minutes, repeating until all sides are browned.
- Turn the instant pot to “Pressure Cook” on high and set to 50 minutes.
- Add potatoes, onions, mushrooms and carrots to pot.
- Whisk together the wine, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and Italian seasoning. Pour the liquid over the roast and potatoes.
- Place lid on the pot and turn to locked position. Set the vent to the sealed position.
- When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn vent to the venting release position and allow all of the steam to release.
- Transfer the roast, potatoes, onions, and carrots to a platter and keep warm.
- Stir together the butter and corn starch until smooth.
- Whisk the butter mixture into the broth and stir until slightly thickened..
- Serve gravy with the roast and vegetables.