Roasted Garlic Aioli
The king of condiments….Roasted Garlic Aioli deserves a place in any recipe calling for regular mayonnaise or use it as a zesty dipping sauce. Roasting the garlic ahead of time mellows out the flavor and allows you to whip up this recipe in minutes.
Eating healthy is a challenge for me. A huge challenge. It doesn’t help that I have a husband that constantly craves take out food and not from our local healthy food store. (I don’t even know where there is a health food store that isn’t a mission to get to.) I buy tons of veggies and lean meats with the best of intentions every time I shop. And then I sit down with a leftover hot dog from the party the day before and turn on the Golden Globes. The people on the red carpet
are look perfect in every way. They do not eat hot dogs. (at least they don’t look like they do)
My problem stems from the fact that I hate bland food. I need food that screams with flavor when I take a bite. Lettuce, kale, green beans. They don’t scream….they whisper…freshly cut grass. So this is where condiments are paramount in the kitchen. This Roasted Garlic Aioli is the fat lady in the kitchen….who is singing (in case you didn’t get where I was going there)…and will make anything taste extraordinarily better than you can imagine. I even, voluntarily, dipped a pile of raw green beans in it and consumed them at a slightly alarming rate. Healthiness ingested. Proud, proud moment.
The Roasted Garlic Aioli is ridiculously easy to make. And once you roast the garlic it comes together in minutes. This is a spread that you want to keep on hand at all times. It’s fantastic on fish, roasted beef, as a dip for veggies or (gasp) FRIED food. We spread it on a wrap and then proceeded to fill said wrap with tuna….tuna salad made without mayo. I was really living on the edge that day. That Tuna Salad Wrap….it will be here for you to drool over on Wednesday. If you can’t wait for Wednesday, you could easily use this as a substitute for the Spicy Steakhouse Aioli in my Grilled Beef Tenderloin Sandwich.
Let the healthy eating commence….but I refuse to give up on my flavor bombs. I lived in health mode before and I remember CRAVING everything. We’re going to do this and try out best to curb those cravings by blowing up our food with fabulous flavor. Who’s with me???
Roasted Garlic Aioli
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- juice and zest of one meyer lemon or half the juice and zest of one regular lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the head of garlic in half horizontally and place the bottom half in the center of a piece of foil. Drizzle the olive oil over the garlic and wrap loosely in the foil. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until the cloves are tender when tested with a toothpick.
- Remove the garlic and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a small food processor or blender, squeeze the garlic cloves into the bowl and add the mayonnaise, lemon juice, zest, salt and pepper. Process or blend until smooth.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.