Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers with Parmesan Basil Polenta
Super simple, ready when you are, Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers. No cooking ahead of time, just dump everything into the slow cooker and go. The Parmesan Basil Polenta makes a great pairing and takes five minutes to make. Yep, five. Hungry yet?
Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers
One of my favorite dinners ever just got an upgrade! This easy Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers recipe has been hanging around here for years but, as with many old favorites, faded into the background for a bit until I remembered….it’s my favorite dinner. Ever.
I know we’re cruising through the lenten season right now but not everyone observes and, really, who doesn’t like a great Sausage and Pepper sandwich every once in a while. I love coming home to the herbey, garlic-y aroma that floats around the kitchen while this Italian Sausage and Peppers cooks away all day long.
It’s so super easy to throw together…..and no browning required! It’s perfect for parties because you can easily double or triple the recipe to feed a crowd…..hello, March Madness or Sunday night Football!
This is a great weekday meal, as well. And with spring right around the corner….those sports practices or just lazy evenings on the porch….take up a lot of time. This easy Sausage Peppers and Onions is sure to please everyone in the family. Even the easy Parmesan Polenta comes together in just a few minutes….and you could totally skip it, just grab a roll and make a sausage and pepper sandwich.
How do you make Sausage and Peppers?
Italian Sausage and Peppers are incredibly easy to make but this easy Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers recipe takes the easy to another level. Much like my Italian Sausage and Peppers in the oven, this recipe requires not much prep work except chopping up a few peppers and onions.
Here’s how to make Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers:
- Layer the bottom of a slow cooker or crock pot with sliced bell peppers and onions.
- Top the vegetables with garlic, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Layer the sausages on top of the vegetables and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with the lid and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- Serve over the Parmesan Polenta or on a roll for Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches.
Can you put raw sausages in a slow cooker?
YES! You can totally put raw sausages in the slow cooker and because you’re putting them on the top of the vegetables they’ll roast just like they do in the oven. Still with that snappy exterior and juicy interior. Exactly how you want a cooked italian sausage to be.
Can you put frozen sausages in a slow cooker?
YES! You can, also, put frozen sausages in a slow cooker and they’ll cook just the same way. However, you will need to cook them a little longer so adjust the cooking time accordingly.
What do you serve with Italian Sausage and Peppers?
Some of our favorite ways to serve Italian Sausage and Peppers are:
- Keep it low carb with this easy Cauliflower Rice
- Easy Classic Coleslaw is always a hit.
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- OR The BEST Ever Mashed Potatoes
- Just on a roll for an epic Sausage and Pepper Sandwich
- Topped with a spoonful of Homemade Marinara Sauce
- Alongside a mound of Pasta with Vodka Sauce
More Easy Sausage Recipes
- Easy Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Sausage and Sage
- Sweet and Spicy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Super simple Italian Sausage Soup
More Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Pork Loin Roast
- Super easy Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches….my FAVE!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cheesesteak….a healthy twist on the Philly classic.
- The BEST EVER Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy Chili
Get the Recipe: Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers with Parmesan Basil Polenta
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 vidalia onion, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 4 ounce italian sausage links, I use a mix of hot and sweet
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 pound cornmeal instant polenta
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Line the bottom of a slow cooker with the peppers and onions. Sprinkle the peppers and onions with the garlic, tomatoes, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Line the sausages in a row on top of the pepper/onion mixture and cover with the lid.
- Cook the sausages on high for 4 hours or low for 6-7 hours or until the sausages are cooked through.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and milk to a boil. Slowly whisk in the polenta and continue whisking until smooth.
- When the polenta starts to thicken and pull away from the sides of the pan, stir in the cheese and basil.
- Transfer to a bowl or serving platter, top with the sausage and peppers and serve immediately.