Simply the BEST Tomato Soup ever! Slightly tangy with just a hint of spice with true tomato flavor. A great way to ward of the winter chill and fantastic with a hearty grilled cheese sandwich. Ready in just 20 minutes.
So…tomato soup. Who loves it? I think it’s one of those things that everyone likes…if you don’t, that’s cool. Maybe you’ll like this soup instead. But if you love tomato soup I bet you grew up on it from a can. That’s the only way I knew how to make it back in the stone ages. You open a can and add water to the gelatinous can shaped red blob that was sitting in your pot, then stirred until the lumps were gone. That’s good stuff, am I right? Then you dumped it in a bowl and crushed up some saltines to give it some texture. All the yum. But can I tell you, there’s a better way and it doesn’t take THAT much more effort? It really doesn’t and it’s so much better than a can.
My family loves tomato soup from Zoe’s Kitchen. If you don’t have a Zoe’s Kitchen near you, you’re seriously missing out. They have the best fresh fast food ever. All with mediterranean flair, like this fab hummus! And their salads are killer…I eat their salads. I am not in a salad loving frame of mind lately but I could eat one of their’s right now. And their tomato soup is simply amazing. My daughter used to work there so I know a few secrets about their menu items….things that help make my copy cat recipes even better than theirs. Like the Very Best Tomato Soup.
This tomato soup is super easy to make, it’s done in about 20 minutes and you just won’t believe the flavor. The secret? A bit of cream…like a teensie splash….and Tabasco sauce. It gives the soup just a little bit of heat that makes you think “What is IN there that tastes so insanely good.” Well, people, it’s the Tabasco. And don’t fear the heat because it’s not overly spicy…it’s just kind of barely there, not like fire in the mouth heat at all. The best tasting tomato soup you ever did eat. I promise.
The Very Best Tomato Soup is a great way to beat the winter blues especially if you serve it with this insanely amazing grilled cheese sandwich. Or go a little lighter and pair it with a salad. Either way, you may eat the whole pot but don’t say I didn’t warn you. For more easy dinner ideas, don’t forget to follow me on Facebook!
The Very Best Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped vidalia onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning Blend (I use Spice Islands)
- 1 teaspoon chopped frech thyme
- 1 28 ounce can Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes (I used Muir Glen Organic)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions to the pot and cook until softened, approximately 4 minutes. Add the celery to the onions and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, Italian seasoning and thyme cooking for 1 minute. Slowly add the tomatoes to the pan and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Turn the heat off. Using a handheld blender (immersion blender), puree the soup until smooth. Stir in the Tabasco sauce and cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 174kcal Calories from fat 68|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|