Chock full of jumbo lump crabmeat, the Very Best Crab Cakes Recipe is light on fillers for the most perfect tender bite you’ll ever take. Simple to prepare, these crab cakes are perfect for easy weeknight dinners or elegant dinner parties.
Happy New Year, friends! I can’t believe 2016 is behind us already, it just blew by like a flash and now we all have a fresh new start. At least that’s how I look at it. I’m not a big one for resolutions but I always do have a few goals I like to achieve at the beginning of the year. One of them is to try and live more in the moment. Try to live each day more mindfully instead of always looking ahead. It’s kind of hard right now because I have a giant, muddy, concrete hole in my backyard which will, someday, be a pool….and I would really like that to be finished so I don’t have to keep putting boots on my dog every time he goes out. So, there’s that. But other than the pool…..in the moment I will live.
And with that comes healthier eating…for the most part. I did go on quite the sugar binge last week while trying to finish off the rest of the cookies, cake and truffles. I didn’t succeed…I ended up becoming quite disgusted with myself and threw everything in the trash. Now I have “discarded cake regret” because I’m currently craving cake. Part of me is relieved…and part of me hates my smart, hasty self. But, I did get my fill at brunch this morning so I should just move on with my life…living in the moment with the fresh strawberries and leftover Crab Cakes I have in the fridge. Which isn’t so bad because this is the Very Best Crab Cakes Recipe you will ever find.
I’m a very picky crab cake eater so I tend to shy away from them at restaurants. A lot of places tend to keep their costs down by plumping up their crab cakes with tons of fillers…mainly breadcrumbs. Lots and lots of breadcrumbs. Then they dredge them in MORE breadcrumbs before frying them….and basically what you’re left with is a mealy crab dip, deep fried and coated in crusty crumbs. I’m more of a purist when it comes to my crab cakes. I like them loaded with jumbo lump crab meat, a little mayo, a little mustard, a teensy bit of breadcrumbs, parsley and some seasoning. Keep it simple and you will have the very Best Crab Cakes in your life.
The Very Best Crab Cakes Recipe is great for weeknight dinners because they come together in less than 30 minutes. But they also make a great first course for entertaining or make little tiny crab cakes for a passable appetizer. They’re a great addition to a buffet with this simple Shrimp Cocktail and these super amazing Tuna Sundaes (don’t let the name sway you…they’re spectacular.) Or just serve them the way they do in Baltimore with a bit of homemade tartar sauce, some amazing slaw and crisp french fries. I bet you never knew how versatile and easy a crab cake can be, am I right?
The Very Best Crab Cakes Recipe
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat, picked over for shells
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I use Tabasco)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a medium bowl, carefully pick over the crab and remove any shells.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, dijon, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, egg, pepper and parsley.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the crab and, carefully, fold together being careful not to break up the crab meat too much. Gently fold in the breadcrumbs.
- Form 1/3 cup of the crab mixture into 8 patties and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment. Chill for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the crab cakes and cook over medium heat until golden, approximately 3-4 minutes. Turn the crab cakes over with a spatula. Cook until golden brown, crispy and cooked through, approximately 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately with tartar sauce and lemon wedges, if desired.