No marinading required! Grilled Steak and Mushroom Kabobs with Blue Cheese Sauce are the quick and easy weeknight dinner your family will love. Simple to prepare and on the table in less than 20 minutes, we love these for entertaining, too!
The locusts are back…..maybe you know them as cicadas. Or maybe you don’t know what the heck I’m talking about but if you do, then you know the soothing (or annoying?) sounds that they make all day long. I find them quite relaxing and it’s definitely a sound that is synonymous with summer. I have a feeling there are a lot of them this year judging by the sheer volume of their chirp…which always puts me on high alert because…have you ever gotten a locust caught in your hair? Well, I have and it’s not good times. They become a tangled mess and take some extra effort (aka another pair of hands) to release them from the matted nest that they create from flailing about wildly. But I love that they’re here, even though I’m a bit more edgy and spastic, because that means summer is in full swing.
Time to pull out all the stops with summer entertaining, even if it’s just a party of 3 or 4. I love making big family dinners on the grill this time of year because….no mess. And I even stocked up on paper plates because I really would rather sit outside after dinner with a glass of lemonade listening to the orchestra created by the locusts….while watching the light show along the fence line courtesy of the fireflies. And these Grilled Steak and Mushroom Kabobs with Blue Cheese Sauce are just the type of thing that I throw together when I want a hearty dinner without much fuss.
What I really like about this recipe is there is absolutely no marinading necessary. So, you can even pick up the steak during your lunch break if you forgot to take something out of the freezer. This recipe was totally created out of necessity one day because I was sitting in my cubicle wanting a steak and knowing darn well that I hadn’t taken one out before I left for the day. I stopped by the grocery store during lunch and picked up a sirloin steak. They’re pretty flavorful and tender but still lean. Much like a beef tenderloin but without the price tag.
To make your Grilled Steak and Mushroom Kabobs with Blue Cheese Sauce, simply cut the steak into bite sized pieces and thread on a skewer with mushrooms and red onion. Baste them generously with a simple basting sauce of olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Grill for a few minutes (that’s all it will take!) and serve with THIS Blue Cheese Dressing. Easy peasy! I love to serve the kabobs when entertaining and throw in these Chicken Kabobs so all my guests have lots of choices. Round out the spread with some corn on the cob and a big bowl of potato salad to really knock the socks off your friends. Then sit back and listen to the locusts as they dive bomb your head. Because summer is the best season of the year. 🙂
Grilled Steak and Mushroom Kabobs with Blue Cheese Sauce
- 2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into bite sized cubes
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean
- 1 red onion, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup Blue Cheese Dressing
- Preheat grill.
- Soak 8 12-inch wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Thred a piece of steak onto a skewer. Add one mushroom and a piece of onion. Repeat until skewer is full.
- Repeat with remaining skewers.
- Whisk together the olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Brush each kabob with the basting oil.
- Place the kabobs on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes. Turn each kabob over and continue cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
- Transfer the kabobs to a serving platter and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with the blue cheese dressing.
Kabobs can be assembled up to 8 hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Bring to room temperature before grilling for best results.