If you ever wonder how I run a food blog without splitting my pants wide open…I like to mix things up a bit. A little healthy, a little indulgent…it’s all about balance. So, I rounded up the Top 20 Healthy Recipes from The Suburban Soapbox to make it easy for you to find the balance in your life, too! Everything in moderation, you don’t have to suffer through a squeaky clean diet to keep your weight in check.
One thing I learned in life is there’s no diet in the world that I can follow to the letter and not be completely miserable. I tried quite a few in my lifetime and all of them left me super hungry to the point I wanted to gnaw off my arm. There was even a specific diet (that should remain nameless) where I may have called my husband at work to declare I was, in fact, starving to death. He assured me that I was not starving and hung up on me. He hung up the phone. I was so enraged I devoured 4 Twinkies, a bag of Fritos and chugged a bottle of wine. That was the end of dieting for me. To this day, I haven’t ever “dieted” again. Instead, I try to make healthier choices when it comes to everyday meals and allow myself to enjoy indulgences along the way. That’s why there’s such a mishmash of recipes available on The Suburban Soapbox. It’s the all the food that I love to eat and want to share with all of you. A little healthy, a little not so healthy at all but all good, tasty, insanely amazing dishes that everyone will love. BUT for those of you that live a little more regimented than I do…I rounded up the Top 20 Healthy Recipes of all time into one post. The most popular, most pinned, most searched for recipes that all of you have tested, tasted and raved about. AND to make things even easier for you…I now have a Healthy Recipes section in the recipe index for you to click and browse ’til your hearts content. So…cheers to a healthy, happy and muffin-top free New Year! May we all fit into our skinny jeans while enjoying a giant slice of chocolate cake!
20. Turkey Tortilla Soup – A fantastic way to turn those Thanksgiving leftovers into a family meal everyone will love. Turkey Tortilla Soup is easy to make and is loaded with southwestern flavors. Adjust the seasonings to make it as spicy or mild as you want. Or use chicken instead of turkey!
19. Chicken Milanese with Artichokes, Kalamata Olives and Maple Dijon Dressing – Crispy chicken cutlets are topped with a refreshing light and tasty salad to create the ultimate healthy weeknight dinner. Easy to make, Chicken Milanese with Artichokes, Kalamata Olives and Maple Dijon Dressing will soon be a regular in your weeknight meal planning.
18. Mango Coconut Lime Smoothie – A refreshing on-the-go breakfast, this Mango Coconut Lime Smoothie whips up in just a couple of minutes using only five ingredients. Packed with nutrients and protein, this is sublime way to start the day!
17. Easy Seafood Cioppino – Loaded with fresh seafood and swimming in a mildly spicy tomato broth, Easy Seafood Cioppino is healthy meal that’s easy to prepare. A perfect alternative to a calorie laden chowder and ready in under 30 minutes.
16. Fajita Turkey Burgers – Finally, a heart-healthy burger packed with flavor! Fajita Turkey Burgers with Chipotle Ketchup are easy to make and loaded with protein. A great way to kick off summer without blowing your diet!
15. Asian Style Pan Roasted Pork Chops – Savory and a little sweet, my favorite combination. These Asian-Style Pan-Roasted Pork Chops are marinated in a wonderful sauce that turns into a sticky glaze. This dish pairs well with a simple green salad and makes a great weeknight dinner.
14. Caramel Crunch Banana Oat Muffins – Your family will go bananas over these grab and go breakfast treats. The humble banana muffin is made a little healthier with the addition of whole wheat flour, oats and greek yogurt, then topped with a crunchy streusel mix and drizzled with caramel. Caramel Crunch Banana Oat Muffins will definitely help start your day off fantastically!
13. Shrimp and Chorizo Skillet Paella with Quinoa – Slightly spicy with a hint of smoke, this one-pot meal is deliciously simple and is packed full of healthy, whole ingredients. Quinoa replaces the traditional rice in this recipe to boost protein and fiber.
12. Blueberry Power Smoothie – Thick, creamy and delicious, this smoothie is packed with antioxidants and a secret ingredient that will keep you energized all morning. Easy to prepare and perfect for an on-th-go breakfast or snack.
11. Slow Cooker Spiced Coconut Steel Cut Oatmeal – There’s nothing more comforting than waking up to a hot, creamy breakfast and this Slow Cooker Spiced Coconut Oatmeal is a cinch to prepare. Just a few ingredients tossed into a slow cooker the night before and you’ll wake up to a sweet and cinnamony start to your day.
10. Caribbean Cobb Salad with Fire-Roasted Pineapple Vinaigrette – All the flavors of the Caribbean in a satisfying and tasty salad. A little prep work early in the week makes this super easy to throw together on a busy weeknight and the spicy vinaigrette adds the perfect amount of heat.
9. No Bake Cherry Pecan Chia Energy Bites – Little bits of heaven….that’s what these are. Loaded with dried cherries, nuts, chia seeds and more, one bite is all you need to give you a quick boost of energy. One bite and you will be addicted. I promise you.
8. Skinny Capellini Carbonara – A lighter version of an Italian favorite, Skinny Capellini Carbonara is packed with flavor but won’t weigh you down. Quick, creamy and comforting….this pasta dish is ready in 10 minutes.
7. Chopped Broccoli Salad with Cherries and Feta – Crunchy broccoli chopped into bits and updated with dried cherries and feta. If you love the old version, you will flip over this updated Chopped Broccoli Salad with Cherries and Feta.
6. Grilled Chicken Fajitas – Marinated chicken breasts, peppers and onions, grilled quickly and served with corn tortillas make a great weeknight dinner option. So easy to make and with minimal mess, they are simply the BEST chicken fajitas ever.
5. Smoked Salmon Canapés with Whipped Chive Cream Cheese – Light and healthy, Smoked Salmon Canapes with Whipped Chive Cream Cheese are the perfect brunch food. Perfectly portioned on slices of pumpernickel cocktail bread and topped with an airy yogurt/cream cheese spread.
4. Cheesy Artichoke Spinach Quinoa Cakes – Loaded with artichokes, spinach and parmesan cheese, these quinoa cakes are reminiscent of everyone’s favorite Spinach-Artichoke dip! Perfect to serve as a main course for Meatless Monday or as a side dish with roasted chicken, pork or fish. Leftover quinoa never tasted so good!
3. The Very Best Chicken Parmesan – Crisp and juicy, this is The Very Best Chicken Parmesan. Lighter than the traditional, this version uses a quick frying technique before finishing off in the oven. Easy and satisfying.
2. Double Glazed Turkey Meatloaf – Loaded with veggies and oats, this Double Glazed Turkey Meatloaf is loaded with vitamins and protein. Topped with a sweet and tangy glaze, this is a healthy dinner the entire family will request week after week.
AND the #1 most popular HEALTHY recipe IS….Banana Peanut Butter Chia Seed Pudding – A healthy pudding, with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners, that even Elvis would have enjoyed. Minus the bacon.
So, here’s to all of us eating a few less cookies and drinking a couple less cocktails while enjoying some healthy dishes that will make us all feel fab. Happy New Year, everyone and thank you so much for making The Suburban Soapbox successful last year. It really was a fab 12 months! And don’t forget to check out my YouTube channel that’s up and running, I have a few videos out there so be sure to subscribe so you’re notified when I produce a new one!