Basil Parmesan Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Less than 5 ingredients, Basil Parmesan Baked Chicken Drumsticks are one of the easiest weeknight dinners around. Simple to prepare and these chicken drumsticks bake in the oven quickly so you can have a meal on the table in no time with minimal mess.
One of my favorite things growing up was chicken dinners….but not just any chicken dinner…..specifically, Baked Chicken Drumsticks. There’s nothing better than chicken with a handle. And when mom made chicken drumsticks without any other chicken parts like thighs or breasts, everyone was happy because there wasn’t any fighting over the shortage of chicken legs.
I still love chicken drumsticks for easy dinners at home because they’re easy on the budget….you can get a family pack of drumsticks for about $5 and feed the whole brood without breaking the bank. Chicken legs are extremely versatile, too. You’re going to start seeing a whole lot of Baked Chicken Drumstick recipes in the oven over the next few weeks because there is really no limit to what you can do with them.
Are chicken drumsticks the same as chicken legs?
So, technically, yes….chicken drumsticks are chicken legs. BUT Chicken Legs are usually referring to the whole chicken leg with the thigh and the lower part of the leg still in tact. Chicken Drumsticks are referring to just the lower part of the leg that looks like a drumstick.
How do you make the BEST Chicken Drumsticks?
There are so many ways to prepare baked chicken drumsticks in the oven but my favorite way is to slather them in a basil parmesan mayonnaise concoction that gets a little crispy, salty and amazing creating the best flavor for your chicken drumstick.
The Basil Parmesan Baked Chicken Drumsticks stay tender and juicy because of the extra crust created by the cheese and mayonnaise being baked onto the chicken. This is, in my opinion, the best way so cook chicken drumsticks in the oven.
How long do you cook chicken drumsticks in the oven?
The length of time you need to cook chicken drumsticks in the oven will vary depending on the oven temperature and the size of your chicken legs. I like to buy chicken legs that are small to medium in size because they will bake much faster than larger chicken drumsticks. BUT the larger chicken drumsticks do tend to stay a bit more juicy than the smaller legs.
Here’s a quick guide to cooking chicken drumsticks on the oven:
For oven temperature of 400 degrees:
- small to medium chicken drumsticks bake for 25-30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F.
- large chicken drumsticks bake for 35-40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F.
For oven temperature of 425 degrees:
- small to medium chicken drumsticks bake for 20-25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F.
- large chicken drumsticks bake for 30-35 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F.
And my pro tip for you, line your baking sheet with foil for super, insanely easy clean up. I go through so much aluminum foil when I bake because I totally hate washing dishes.
If you don’t want to use the Basil Parmesan sauce for your baked chicken drumsticks, we absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this Chicken Drumstick Marinade. It’s quick and easy and you can totally plop those chicken legs in for an overnight marinade session making dinner come together even easier.
My favorite things to serve with this Basil Parmesan Baked Chicken Drumstick recipe are:
- Baked Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Super easy Scalloped Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potatoes with Cheddar and Chives
- 10 Minute Mac and Cheese
- Italian Stewed Tomatoes
- Easy Grilled Garlic Potatoes in foil
- Best Ever Potatoes au Gratin
Got leftovers? You can totally morph those leftover chicken drumsticks into something amazing that the family will never recognize. If your family won’t eat leftovers like mine…..sometimes a little trickery is needed to cut back on food waste.
Here are my favorite recipes using leftover baked chicken drumsticks:
- Creamy White Chicken Chili
- Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Chicken Fajita Stuffed Avocado
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Chicken Soup with Artichokes
Want even more easy Chicken Drumstick recipes? Check out these reader favorites:
- Asian Glazed Chicken Legs
- The Very Best Barbecue Chicken
- Easy Sheet Pan Baked Chicken
- Truly Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- Carolina Style Barbecue Chicken
- Grilled Honey Chipotle BBQ Chicken
So, there you have it….one of my all time favorite dinners….Basil Parmesan Baked Chicken Drumsticks and let me just say….kids love these, too. Even my pizza and chicken tender only loving son who…one day will appreciate all his mom’s fabulous gourmet meals. Right? Please tell me I’m right.
Get the Recipe: Basil Parmesan Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 16 chicken drumsticks
- Preheat oven 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, cheese, basil, salt and pepper.
- Arrange the chicken drumsticks on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Using a pastry brush, coat the chicken legs with the mayonnaise blend.
- Bake the chicken legs in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 180 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and serve immediately.