Sink your teeth into real flavor when you enjoy a homemade California Burrito! Tortillas are rolled with carne asada, guacamole, cheese, and so much more… Like french fries! If you’ve never had a California Burrito before, you’re in for a real treat. This might just be your favorite burrito EVER!
Dudes. This California Burrito recipe is here to, like, totally blow your minds. Okay, I’ll stop with my attempt at sounding like a cool California chick! It’s just that ever since I first rolled up this insanely good burrito, I really have had California on the mind. As the name suggests, this burrito was in fact first rolled in California – San Diego, to be exact. Since it’s creating in the 1980’s, it’s just gotten more and more popular.
What is a California Burrito?
And it’s not hard to see why! Carne asada, guacamole, french fries and more fill every hearty bite of this easy to make burrito. I know what you may be thinking… Whoever first rolled this burrito must’ve been under the influence. I can’t exactly speak to that, but I can definitely claim that a California Burrito pairs perfectly with an ice cold cerveza! I mean really, nothing quite says party food like french fries in a burrito.
Don’t let all of the different elements of the burrito scare you off. The carne asada may take some time to make, but it’s SO worth the effort and really not much of a hassle at all. In fact, I usually like to make a double batch of carne asada so I have enough for two meals. I’ll have a Carne Asada Taco night, then a California Burrito dinner the following night that uses up all the leftover meat.
How to Make a California Burrito
Your friends and family are going to love these fun burritos! Serving California Burritos might be even more fun that your usual taco Tuesdays.
Make the fries. Cook the fries according to package directions. Mix together the salt, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne. Once the fries are cooked, toss them with that seasoning mix. Set aside.
Warm the tortillas. Pop the tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds to a minute at 50% power. Work in batches of about 2-4 tortillas at a time.
Assemble the burritos. Add the carne asada, fries, cheeses, salsa, guacamole, onions, and cilantro to each of the tortillas. Roll them up nice and tight!
Tips for the Best California Burritos
- Want bigger burritos? You can use 12 inch tortillas instead of the 10 inch ones I use. Just keep in mind that that will reduce the final number of burritos you have.
- Feel free to use the oven to warm the tortillas instead of the microwave if you’d like! Preheat the oven to 250°F and toss the tortillas onto a baking sheet. Only keep them in there for about 5-10 minutes. Any longer will dry them out.
- Keep things authentic by using regular cut fries in this recipe, not shoestring fries.
- Treat yourself to the BEST flavor with homemade Carne Asada! My easy recipe always hits the spot.
- As always, Homemade Guacamole is the best guacamole!
If you’re eating a California Burrito because it’s the ultimate hangover cure, just eat it all by itself with something to drink! However, if it’s your dinner entree, consider serving these sides with it:
- Chips and Guacamole Salsa, White Queso, or Homemade Pico de Gallo is always a great idea!
- Add some vibrant freshness to your plate with Mexican Street Corn Salad.
- If you’re not into Mexican beers like Corona or Modelo, pair your carne asada burrito with a Classic Margarita.
Whether it’s game day or Friday night, enjoy more of the best Mexican-inspired flavors with these fun recipes.
Get the Recipe: California Burrito
- 8 flour tortillas, 10 inch
- 24 ounces carne asada – cooked according to recipe found here
- 24 ounces frozen French fries, regular cut fries, not shoestring fries
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ cup guacamole
- ¼ cup yellow onion, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup Sour Cream, for garnish
- 1 baking sheet
- Cook the french fries according to package directions.
- While the fries are cooking, mix the salt, garlic powder, black pepper, cumin and cayenne pepper into a small bowl. This mixture will season the french fries.
- When the fries are cooked and golden brown, put them in a larger mixing bowl, then top with the seasoning mix. Reduce the oven temp to 350 degrees
- Gently toss the hot french fries to coat them with seasoning. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Warm the tortillas in small batches (about 2-4 tortillas per batch) in the microwave for about 30-1 minute on 50% power. Set on a tray for the assembly.
- Assemble Burrito with 3-4 ounces carne asada and 3-4 ounces of seasoned fries then top with cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, 1 tsp salsa, 1 tsp guacamole, onion and cilantro.
- Starting at the edge closest to you, roll up the tortilla tightly, fold in each side and continue rolling to form the burrito. Set aside on a serving platter, and continue filling and rolling all the burritos
- Serve with additional salsa or with sour cream if desired.
The tortillas can be warmed in the oven on a cooking sheet and covered in foil, at approximately 250 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Any warmer might dry out the tortillas.